Jump over the site's section navigation.

Late Night Cooking Causes Bloomington Fire

Thu, 03 Jul 2014 09:36:04 CDT
By: Charlie Schlenker

An unattended stove lit up cooking oil early this morning in a Bloomington apartment building. Eleven fire units responded to the incident in the 19-hundred block of Tracy Drive at about 1:30 in the morning. Firefighters say one man was taken to the hospital for treatment of burns on his hands. About a dozen other residents evacuated without incident. Flames caused more than $25,000 damage. Fire Captain Brad McCollum says unattended cooking is the number one cause of home fires in the United States. He says you should never start cooking when you are tired or under the influence of alcohol or medication that makes you feel sleepy.

Support Your Public Radio Station