Jump over the site's section navigation.

Homeowner Mistakes Cause Bloomington Fire

Thu, 06 Mar 2014 09:42:38 CST
By: Charlie Schlenker

Bloomington firefighters say a homeowner was burning too much stuff...and the wrong stuff in their fireplace. The result was a house fire that did $60,000 damage to a home in the 800 block of West Oakland Avenue last evening. Fire investigators say the residents had tried to burn an unusually large amount of construction waste material and used a flammable liquid to start the flames. The fire spread inside the wall above the fireplace. There were no injuries. Fire officials caution against the use of anything other than firewood or firestarter logs in fireplaces.

Support Your Public Radio Station