Officials say five students were burned, including one seriously, after an explosion and fire during a Chicago high school cooking class. Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford says four students at Northside College Prep High School were taken to hospitals today after gas ignited in a biology lab while students were heating hot chocolate. Langford says the gas caused ``a flash'' explosion. A fifth student declined treatment. Chicago Public School officials issued a statement saying the ``small fire'' occurred on a single-burner stove during ``routine cooking instruction.'' Sprinklers extinguished the fire that was reported around 10:30 a.m. The 1,0-student school was briefly evacuated. Langford says the most seriously injured student received burns to the face, neck and arms. A spokesman at Swedish Covenant Hospital said two patients there are stable.
Support Your Public Radio Station