Classes have resumed at a northern Illinois elementary school after more than 60 students, teachers and staff were treated at a hospital when they became overcome by a sour odor from a nearby landfill. The 530-student Cortland Elementary school is about three miles from DeKalb. Authorities say the smell likely came from the landfill when a contractor tapped a pocket of decomposing trash. Officials haven't determined what gas was released, but doctors say the 63 people taken to Kishwaukee Hospital were treated for low levels of carbon monoxide exposure. Environmental regulators are expected to visit the landfill later this week. Superintendent James Briscoe says employees opened the school's doors to air out the building.
Support Your Public Radio Station