Bloomington Country Club has sustained heavy fire, smoke, and water damage. Flames began in the kitchen of the structure on Towanda Avenue about eight o'clock this morning. The Fire Department says the call was upgraded twice, once to include off duty firefighters. Ten Bloomington units with many support vehicles were eventually on the scene and two units from Normal. Firefighters did prevent flames from spreading beyond the north end of the structure, but had to ventilate the roof to bring it under control. Kitchen workers were boiling butter, which overflowed and ignited. Handheld fire extinguishers did not put out the flames and the Fire Department says the kitchen hood fire extinguishing system was not manually activated. There were no injuries.
Support Your Public Radio Station