Bloomington and Normal Firefighters say two fires in the twin cities in less than 24 hours were completely avoidable. In Bloomington early this morning flames broke out in the 23 hundred block of East Jackson Street when an extension cord overloaded with multiple plugs overheated. That caused $25,000 damage. And in Normal an overnight fire perhaps caused by improperly discarded smoking materials damaged a deck and the exterior of a home on Henry Street just before 2:30 a.m. Damage in that blaze is estimated at $10,000.
Support Your Public Radio Station