Jump over the site's section navigation.

CO1 alarm saves seven in Normal

Fri, 30 Nov 2012 16:09:03 CST
By: Charlie Schlenker

Firefighters in Normal say a carbon monoxide alarm potentially saved the lives of seven college students this week. The Fire Department says a flue pipe for the boiler had fallen out of a brick chimney in an apartment house in the 500 block of Broadway and was venting carbon monoxide into the house. Spokesman Matt Swaney says the alarm went off and the students evacuated.

   
Firefighters discovered potentially lethal levels of the odorless colorless gas in the basement of the structure. The Department indicates carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning in the U.S. Fire Chief Mick Humer says the situation was very lucky. Although carbon monoxide detectors are required within 15 feet of sleeping areas, not all property owners comply.

Support Your Public Radio Station