Gardening is a popular hobby and loads of fun, but beware! Danger lurks behind every shrub and tree!
- You've got to prepare yourself properly in order to stay safe while gardening, said Patrick Murphy, host of GLT's Grow.
- Warm up with some squats and lunges and do some stretches before heading out to do heavy work in the garden. That way you less apt to pull a muscle.
- Don't forget to be properly hydrated before you head outside, and have a good meal to keep some fuel in your system.
- Always apply sunscreen!
- Organize your garden shed to keep stuff from tumbling over accidentally.
- Mind power cords when trimming. Keep the cord on the ground.
- Careful with chemicals -- PPE on the label means personal protection equipment. Wear goggles, gloves and a mask. And when done with using chemicals, was your clothes in warm sudsy water and AIR DRY -- keep them out of the dryer. Then run your washer without anything in it to make sure no residue form the chemicals remains.
WGLT depends on financial support from users to bring you stories and interviews like this one. As someone who values experienced, knowledgeable, and award-winning journalists covering meaningful stories in central Illinois, please consider making a contribution.