Bloomington resident Matt Erickson has planted seeds in a food desert and hopes to grow interest from the public with a special offer.
- Mom's Orchard is a free community orchard located on 826 and 902 West Washington Street in Bloomington. Erickson named the orchard after his mother and the other women who helped to raise him and give him passion for living.
- Erickson noted the lack of grocery stores in the area providing fresh produce.
- Erickson invites anyone who is passing by the orchard to enjoy the organic crops.
- Donations to Mom's Orchard allow Erickson to purchase and maintain the trees and shrubs.
- Participants who want a tree or bush planted in the orchard are given a dedication brick with the name of a loved one who has passed on. The brick remains with the plant as it grows, marking the investment in the community orchard.
- Erickson hopes to expand and create an orchard in Normal, as well.