The local choral group Cantus Novus mixes seldom-heard classical music with contemporary pieces in their upcoming spring concert.
- The concert is Friday, March 9, at 7 p.m. at the Mennonite Church of Normal.
- The semi-professional group was established in 2001 and is made up of community members, both male and female, who have a love of singing traditional choral music.
- Tim Fredstrom is the director of the group. He also teaches in the School of Music in the College of Fine Arts at Illinois State University.
- The concert includes choral works by Franz Joseph Hayden that are seldom-heard but are beautiful and melodic.
- The second half of the concert features contemporary pieces that include settings of works by famous poets, including Robert Frost and Edna St. Vincent Millay.
WGLT depends on financial support from users to bring you stories and interviews like this one. As someone who values experienced, knowledgeable, and award-winning journalists covering meaningful stories in central Illinois, please consider making a contribution.