The Community Cancer Center in Normal is hosting a release of scores of butterflies as a celebration of hope and peace.
The event is Saturday, July 22. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and the ceremony begins at 10 a.m.
- The gardeners at the Community Cancer Center say the emergence of the butterfly is a sign of the renewal of life and its flight symbolizes freedom and happiness.
- The butterflies are meant to inspire the patients at the center, and their families.
- The center has its own butterfly garden, full of plants that attract the beautiful pollinators.
- The center considers this to be an event for the whole family, and especially desires the attendance of children.
- Proceeds benefit the upkeep of the butterfly garden at the center.
- Even after the butterflies are released, many remain in the area, finding new homes in the gardens of those who live in the vicinity of the center.
WGLT depends on financial support from users to bring you stories and interviews like this one. As someone who values experienced, knowledgeable, and award-winning journalists covering meaningful stories in central Illinois, please consider making a contribution.