Who can resist those furry faces when it comes to giving our dogs a treat? Well, think twice before you treat your dog to a bone.
- The Food and Drug Administration recently issued a warning about commercial dog bones.
- The bones are labeled ham bones, pork femur, rib bones and more.
- Dogs that ingest bone treat are at risk for choking, gastrointestinal blockage, vomiting, cuts to the mouth ... or death.
- Table scrap bones should also be off limits to dogs. Chicken bones in particular can easily splinter.
- While it's easy for a bone to go down a dog's throat, the ... uh ... exit out of your dog's body is not so forgiving. Some serious damage can happen there when a dog tries to pass bones.
- Be careful throwing bones away in kitchen garbage cans. Wily dogs can still get to them that way.
- A good replacement for a bone treat is a kong. Just keep it filled with peanut butter to keep your dog happy.
WGLT depends on financial support from users to bring you stories and interviews like this one. As someone who values experienced, knowledgeable, and award-winning journalists covering meaningful stories in central Illinois, please consider making a contribution.