GLT Newsroom Awards
GLT 2014 Associated Press Awards
The Illinois Associated Press has honored GLT for journalistic excellence with six awards for work in the Local Radio category in 2014.
To date, GLT has received 66 Illinois AP journalism awards in the past eleven years, with a total of 90 awards in the last sixteen years.
The awards, which were announced March 11, 2015, are as follows:
- Best Newswriter, First Place-Judith Valente
- Best Series or Documentary, First Place-Judith Valente, Jon Norton, Willis Kern: "Police and Race in the Twin Cities"
- Best Sports Report, First Place-Charlie Schlenker: "Central Illinois Gets Ready for the World Cup"
- Best Hard News Feature, Second Place-Judith Valente: "Alleged Abuse at Chicago Christian Commune"
- Best Investigative Report, Second Place-Judith Valente, Jon Norton, Willis Kern: "Police and Race in the Twin Cities"
- Best Use of Sound, Second Place-Judith Valente: "Migrating Birds in McLean County"
2014 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
The Radio Television Digital News Association has awarded the WGLT News Department with two regional Edward R. Murrow Awards for broadcast excellence. Since 2005, WGLT has won 26 regional and 3 national Edward R. Murrow Awards. In April of 2014, the Illinois Associated Press announced WGLT had won four awards for broadcast excellence.
- Daniel Hajek's report "Central Illinois Drive-ins Face Digital Future" about the fate of an iconic drive-in movie theater took the award for Best Feature. Since reporting for GLT, Hajek has taken a reporting position with NPR West in Los Angeles.
- Judith Valente, the newest addition to the GLT news team, took a first place award for Writing with "Fugate Woods in Wintertime", an installment in her "Unknown Illinois" series.
GLT News is being honored in the region which includes small market stations in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Michigan. Each regional award also competes for national honors.
GLT 2013 Associated Press Awards
The Illinois Associated Press has honored GLT for journalistic excellence with four awards for work the Local Radio category in 2013.
To date, GLT has received 60 Illinois AP journalism awards in the past ten years, with a total of 84 awards in the last fifteen years. No other station in the Local Radio category has won more awards than GLT.
The 2013 awards, announced in March of 2014, are as follows:
2013 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- GLT's coverage of the school shooting at Normal Community High School on September 7, 2012 won in the Breaking News Category. Included in consideration for the award was an exclusive interview GLT aired that afternoon with one of the students who helped disarm the shooter. No one was hurt.
- Daniel Hajek's report on Bloomington-Normal's introduction to food trucks took the award for Best Feature. His story "Two Blokes and a Bus" featured Twin City residents sampling the food and explored the tension felt by traditional restaurants
- The GLT News team (Hajek, Charlie Schlenker, Jim Browne, Willis Kern and Laura Kennedy) won the Best News Series category for a second straight year with their look at the agriculture industry in "Farming: A Growing Concern."
- Charlie Schlenker won in Best Sports for his story about a central Illinois speed skater
GLT News was honored in the region which includes small market stations in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Michigan. Each regional award competes for national honors.