A service of Illinois State University, WGLT was licensed by the FCC in 1966. Then a student-run radio station, GLT was heard only in the ISU dorms.
Over the decades support from the University and the community has allowed GLT to become a full service public radio station, serving a central Illinois audience approaching 30,000 listeners a week at 89.1 and 103.5 FM and listeners all over the world at WGLT.org. An NPR member station, GLT also offers local news and music programs as well as national programs from PRI and PRX.
In addition to our main channel, GLT offers an all blues channel, an all jazz channel, and an all acoustic music channel as web streams.
- GLT is consistently ranked in the top 5 of all radio stations in McLean County in terms of audience numbers and market share. This ranking has remained in effect in spite of the doubling of radio stations serving our area since the mid-90s.
- GLT is licensed to Illinois State University, and has been operating as a public service of the University since 1966.
- Our call letters stand for Gladly Learn and Teach, inspired by the Illinois State University motto: "Gladly we learn and teach".
- The average tenure of staff at GLT is 13 years. The combined broadcast experience of the GLT staff is over 350 years, an average of 23.5 years per employee.
- Over the decades, GLT News has been honored with scores of regional and national awards for excellence by the Associated Press, Kaleidoscope, Public Radio News Directors, Inc and the prestigious Edward R. Murrow awards from the Radio Television Digital News Association.
- GLT provides “multi-platform” services, including 4 web streams. Which means you can listen to the GLT you want, anywhere you are, all over the world.
- GLT is a local primary station for the national Emergency Alert System. This means that GLT is the originating source of emergency information for all broadcasters and their audiences in a 5-county area.
- GLT alumni are employed at NPR and at numerous major market stations, both commercial and non-commercial. One of GLT’s first program directors runs one of the leading public radio research firms in the nation.
- As an independent public radio station, GLT is proud that 53% of our operating budget comes from the individuals, families and businesses in the communities we serve. We rely on Illinois State University for 38% of our budget, with the remaining 9% coming from state and federal grants.